Friday, April 13, 2007

Duke Lacrosse/Malik Shabazz

I caught this interview on Fox News last night while drinking at the Bayou. It's with Malik Shabazz, leader of the New Black Panther party, on his reaction to the charges against the Duke Lacrosse team being dropped. He calls her a political prostitute and she says "you want to call me a whore on national television?". I think both of them are completely out of line, but the video captures both sides of the issue very well. What really happened that night? Are they completely innocent of any wrong doing? I have my doubts. Was it just a complete smear campaign with no basis in truth? That could also be the case. I don't know.

I may be biased because I'm a woman and I have a deep loathing of spoiled frat boys. Misogyny combined with entitlement is the cause of rape. We know these boys are wealthy. We know these boys hired two strippers for their little party. Of course, that doesn't mean they're guilty, and I'm not familiar with the details of the case. I'm just saying, it isn't the craziest idea to think some kind of sexual assault occurred. And it isn't the craziest idea to think the charges were dropped due to their rich and powerful parents hiring the best defense lawyer money can buy. I am not defending this Malik character, but his claims aren't off the wall. Guilty people get off all the time. Innocent people are charged all the time. Justice isn't always served.

No comments: