Monday, March 12, 2007

Black Snake Moan

So Black Snake Moan was even more ridiculous than I expected, and not because the plot involved a skank on a chain. What I found the most ridiculous about the movie was the depiction of Rae's (Christina Ricci) psychological issues. We find out that she was sexually abused by her mother's boyfriend, which implies this is at the root of her wild and spontaneous sexual urges. But then we're also supposed to believe that she has weird spells that overtake her body and are the manifestation of her nymphomania, or "the sickness". Why the overkill? So, is she a nympho or is she just reacting to what happened to her in the past? Does excessive sex because of sexual abuse equal nymphomania? I suppose it isn't meant to be taken literally, but I like my movies to a least make some sort of sense overall. It was all so muddled that there ended up being no meaning at all.

And then there's Robbie (JT) who has debilitating panic attacks, yet he wants to join the military. He can't even drive on the interstate without losing his shit, but he thinks he's going to go off to Iraq? And they end up getting married? WTF?

The entire movie is mind-boggling.

1 comment:

theogeo said...

I've still not been to see it. I'm afraid I'll hate it too.

Think I might wait and just Netflix that shit.