Monday, June 06, 2005

Six Feet Under

I watched the season premiere of Six Feet Under tonight. I don't think I'm going to be able to watch it because it's too depressing and intense. I don't enjoy watching people continuously go insane. One character, fine. But every single person has to disintegrate on a regular basis. It makes me uncomfortable. I found myself watching the clock and hoping it would hurry up and be over. I used to love the show. The first season I would actually get high before watching it. Now, I can't even watch it sober without freaking out just a little. I guess I'm at a point in my life where I just don't want to be reminded of how tragic it all is, and how at any moment anything could blow up in your face. I used to like the dark reality of the show, but today it's just too much for me. I guess I'll just have to stick to comedies.

In general there's just too may depressing shows on the tube these days. Murder mystery shows are the norm. We've got psychic homicide detectives, CSI shows in every city across the nation, enough Law & Order shows that the average citizen could open their own practice. Shit! How about some feel good, life affirming shows. I guess that would just be too boring. And it wouldn't reflect the paranoia that has slowly and increasingly crept into our society. I wonder how many more psychological problems exist today than back in say, the 1800's. It seems like the more advanced society gets, the less capable humans are of enjoying it.

1 comment:

Memphis Chix said...

How about a reality show starring Hello Kitty as the lottery-number-picker. We could watch her dole out millions every week. The PowerPuff girls could come on afterwards.

"I wonder how many more psychological problems exist today than back in say, the 1800's. It seems like the more advanced society gets, the less capable humans are of enjoying it."
As to that, I'd say we have too much free time on our hands to discover psychology and think about it.